RelatedPosts Live stream Premier League, La Liga, Serie A on Showmax Pro this weekend Juve’s Pirlo gamble makes new Serie A season the most open for years Pirlo bags UEFA coaching badge Veteran forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic is to stay at AC Milan for another season Italian media reported on Monday.This is in a bid to help the once-mighty club end their long wait for a major trophy and return to the Champions League. The charismatic Swede, who will be 39 in October, returned for a second stint at Milan in January on a six-month contract and inspired the team to sixth place in Serie A.Ibrahimovic gave a strong indication he would stay when he gave an interview after returning from holiday on Sunday.“Finally, everything’s sorted out and I could come back to where I feel at home,” he said.“Now, it’s time to work hard and push on.“As I’ve always said, I’m not here to be a mascot, I’m here to get results and help the team, the coach and the club to get AC Milan back to where we belong. “We did very well over the last six months but we didn’t win anything, and this season I have the possibility to be here from the start.”Ibrahimovic played for leading European clubs, including Ajax Amsterdam, Juventus, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Paris St Germain and Manchester United, before joining MLS side LA Galaxy in 2018.Seven-times European champions Milan have not won a major trophy since 2011, when they claimed the last of their 18 Serie A titles, and since then have frequently finished in mid-table.The team last played in the champions league in 2013-14.Reuters/NAN. Tags: AC MilanIbrahimovicSerie A
Tag Archives: 上海夜网AP
SA Football Association (Safa) president Danny Jordaan promised on Monday a new era for Bafana Bafana that will see a new name, new technical staff and a new technical sponsor.Jordaan said this was not a witchhunt because Bafana lost to Nigeria in the African Nations Championship (Chan) tournament on Sunday, but was part of a process he began when he was elected president late last year.“I am fully aware that the national team needs urgent attention and we are dealing with the situation,” Jordaan said in a statement.“We have a meeting already scheduled in early February where the team name, technical staff and technical sponsorship will be addressed.“Big changes are underway at Safa, not just at the national team level but at grassroots.”He said if the country wanted to build a winning team for the future, efficient structures should be in place from school level. Jordaan said he understood the criticism that Bafana and Safa were receiving about the loss to Nigeria, but said many of the country’s top players had not been allowed to take part in the tournament.“Chan rules restrict the competition to home-based players, and some teams refused to release the players who might have made a difference to the result,” he said.“This is not an excuse, it is the reality of the situation. We could not field our best team because of restrictions.”Jordaan said he had carried out a sweeping review of all Safa management since his appointment.“Things will change, and sooner rather than later. We are going to create a new era where South Africa takes its rightful place as a top African football nation and one that is respected in world football,” he said. “This is the task I have undertaken, and I will not rest until we can hold our heads up in pride.” – Sapa
The Lions are open to picking a quarterback in the first round.Detroit holds the No. 8 selection in the 2019 NFL Draft and general manager Bob Quinn said Monday the team isn’t ruling out selecting a signal caller, despite having veteran Matthew Stafford on its roster. “In previous years, at least my last couple years here, we’ve drafted anywhere from 16 to 22, I believe,” Quinn said, via The Detroit News. “It’s a little bit different for us this year. There’s a few more players that are going to be available.“If there’s a quarterback out there that we deem could help us this year or in the future, we’ll never close the door on that.” Related News The top quarterbacks in this year’s class include Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, Duke’s Daniel Jones and Oklahoma’s Kyler Murray. Quinn said Detroit will “consider any position in the draft at any point in time.””We’re in a position now with the eighth overall pick that the whole draft board is really wide open to us,” Quinn said. “We’re not going to really eliminate any prospects.” Stafford completed 66.1 percent of his passes and threw for 21 touchdowns, along with 11 interceptions, in 16 games for Detroit this season.The Lions finished 2018 with a 6-10 record and missed the playoffs for a second straight season. Lions GM Bob Quinn stands behind QB: ‘Matthew Stafford is our quarterback’
‘grateful’ SOCHI, Russia (CMC): Lewis Hamilton took a giant leap towards his second straight Formula One drivers’ title, and third overall, when he won the Russian Grand Prix here yesterday. Starting from second on the grid, the 30-year-old Brit capitalised on the retirement of pole-sitter and Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg after eight laps, to take the chequered flag in one hour, 37.11 minutes. Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel was five seconds behind in second, while Force India’s Sergio Perez snatched a surprise place on the podium. With his ninth victory of the season, Hamilton moved 66 points clear at the top of the drivers’ standings on 302 points, and now needs nine more points than the second-placed Vettel and two more than third-placed Rosberg at the next race in the United States to clinch the title. “I’ve been incredibly grateful to be where I am. I think today’s just a happy moment for me,” said Hamilton, whose paternal grandparents are Grenadian. “Yesterday, of course, when you qualify second and your target is to excel and over-deliver and when you under-deliver, of course it’s not a happy moment, but today I came here with a positive attitude, which I have at every race, and I think even in the last race – not all the races – I’ve been incredibly grateful for the car holding together.” Hamilton drove aggressively from the outset, but failed to get past Rosberg, who opened up a lead after the first lap. A smash-up shortly after saw the safety car come out, and when the race restarted on lap four, Rosberg was already experiencing problems with his throttle. With the car fading, Hamilton snatched the lead on lap seven and dominated the event with Vettel in pursuit. The victory was Hamilton’s second straight in Sochi following his triumph last year – and the 42nd of his career – tying him with Vettel for third on the all-time list. His victory also gave Mercedes the constructors’ title with three races left in the season.
Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo, World Cup finalist Luka Modric of Croatia and Egyptian Mohamed Salah, who enjoyed a stunning campaign with Liverpool last season, were the three players nominated by FIFA for the world ruling body’s top prize.Now grouped within the FIFA Best awards, it will be presented on September 24.For Griezmann, who helped Atletico to Europa League glory as well as playing a pivotal role in France’s World Cup win, FIFA’s choice was unwarranted.“We had a really good World Cup campaign, the whole team deserve to be awarded: (Kylian) Mbappe, (Raphael) Varane, (N’Golo) Kante, who had an amazing World Cup even though no-one talks about it, or even myself.“But that’s the way it is.”The snub has galvanised Griezmann’s ambition to land the Ballon d’Or, the prize awarded by France Football magazine to the world’s top player as voted on by journalists around the globe.“I think the Ballon d’Or has more prestige, a richer history,” said Griezmann.Conceived in 1956, it has been won by Ronaldo and Lionel Messi a record five times apiece. By contrast, the FIFA Best award has been a stand-alone award only since 2016, having spent the 2010-2015 period merged with the Ballon d’Or.He added: “It’s on my mind and I’ve got three months to give it everything (to win it). We’ll see what happens.”Asked if he felt comfortable “sitting at the same football table” as five-time Ballon d’Or winners Messi and Ronaldo, Griezmann said: “Yes, I think so, although other players would be there as well.“I’m enjoying being at this table, although I know I can do better.“I’m at the summit but I know I can improve, I want to be the most complete player possible.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Having helped France to the World Cup, Antoine Griezmann has set his sights on personal glory: winning the prestigious Ballon d’Or award © AFP/File / Franck FIFEMADRID, Spain, Sep 17 – Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann says he still can’t fathom why he was not voted one of the world’s top three players by FIFA — but hopes winning the “more prestigious” Ballon d’Or will make amends.“It’s a prize from FIFA and it seems a pity that no World Cup winners were nominated,” Griezmann, who helped France to World Cup glory in Russia this summer, told Spanish sports daily AS.