INDIANAPOLIS – Every second counts when it comes to escaping fires, and state leaders are using Fire Prevention Month to encourage Hoosiers to brush up on their knowledge of fire safety.State Fire Marshal James Greeson says to prevent death or injuries in house fires, it’s critical to have a working smoke alarm on all floors of the home and to make sure it’s tested monthly.“Then if it is a smoke alarm that you have to replace the batteries in, that we do that at least once or twice a year when we change our clocks,” he stresses. “And there are smoke alarms on the market today that have a 10-year lithium battery, which you don’t have to change for 10 years but you still have to test monthly.”A recent Red Cross survey found that people believe they have more time than they do to escape a burning home.Fire experts estimate people have as little as two minutes to escape, while more than 60 percent of respondents believe they have at least five minutes.According to Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) statistics, 62 fire fatalities have been reported in Indiana so far this year.Greeson says fire safety is a conversation worth having with your children. He says it’s also important to have an escape plan in place and to practice it.“Just don’t practice it during the daytime when you can see,” he cautions. “Maybe practice as a surprise at night. Practice that plan, have a safe meeting place outside away from the home where you all gather and congregate and meet.”Once you are outside of a burning home, Greeson says call 911 and don’t go back inside.“Fire travels so fast, the fumes can be so toxic and the heat is super-heated air,” he says. “And that few minutes that you think you have to go back in that home, you can get totally disoriented and it’s not a good situation.”Nationwide, more than 2,300 people died and nearly 13,000 were injured in home fires in 2012, according to the National Fire Protection Association.Mary Kuhlman
Tag Archives: 上海夜网SJ
New Zealand was awarded the titles for leading the standings when the coronavirus pandemic stopped the series after six of the 10 men’s rounds and four of the five women’s rounds.South Africa was second and Fiji third in the men’s series. Australia was second and Canada third in the women’s.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports June 30, 2020 Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Chad Campbell is the sixth player to test positive for the coronavirus as the PGA Tour enters its fourth week of the restart. The Latest: Another PGA Tour player tests positive for virus Pelicans general manager David Griffin says three New Orleans players have tested positive for COVID-19 and will be in self-isolation until testing shows they can return to team activities without infecting others.Griffin declined to identify the players, citing medical privacy laws.The positive tests occurred on June 23, the first day all members of the team were tested as part of the NBA’s plan to restart the season, which was suspended in mid-March. Griffin says the Pelicans have had no players test positive since.“The league has a system in place that was designed to catch these cases. That system worked and we’re just going to deal with it the best we can moving forward,” Griffin said. “The league is relying both on the CDC and their own medical experts and the players’ union medical experts on this, and we’re going to continue to follow those guidelines.”When the Pelicans return to action on July 30 against Utah at Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports complex outside of Orlando, Florida, they will be 3½ games out of the Western Conference’s final playoff spot with eight games left. With that in mind, the team began emailing season ticket holders on Tuesday to give them the chance to opt out of their commitment for this season, with an option to return for the 2021 season. They would maintain their account seniority and seat location.The Bills said they are working with the NFL and state and local governments to establish policies and procedures to create and maintain the safest possible environment for spectators at New Era Field.The team said there also is a chance that seating capacity might be altered this season. The team will not be charging season tickets holders or taking any additional payments until plans are set.NFL teams are scheduled to report for training camp on July 28.___ The CP Women’s Open was scheduled for Sept. 3-6 at Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club in Vancouver. The LPGA Tour and Golf Canada say it will return to Shaughnessy the last week in August next year.“I understand this was a tough decision for everyone involved, but given the restrictions faced, there was simply nothing else that could be done that would have enabled us to run the event in 2020,” LPGA Commissioner Mike Whan says.___The rest of the rugby sevens world series has been canceled and New Zealand declared winners of the men’s and women’s titles.The Hong Kong, Singapore, Langford, London and Paris legs were postponed but World Rugby canceled them after discussion with all of the host unions. Campbell played the first event back at Colonial near his home in Texas. He didn’t play the last two weeks and then tested positive as part of the tour’s pre-tournament screening process at the Rocket Mortgage Classic in Detroit.Campbell said he is asymptomatic and will quarantine until he feels it’s safe to return. The tour policy requires self-isolation for at least 10 days. Earlier this week, Harris English tested positive and withdrew from the Rocket Mortgage Classic.Meanwhile, three players on the Korn Ferry Tour in Colorado have tested positive: Brandon Wu, Taylor Montgomery and Jonathan Hodge. They are the first Korn Ferry Tour players to test positive at a tournament site.___The Buffalo Bills have advised season ticket holders there is a chance games may be played without fans this season because of the coronavirus pandemic. Because of the NBA’s decision to base seeding on winning percentage, New Orleans and Sacramento also are effectively one game behind Portland for the ninth spot. This season, finishing ninth — as well as within four games of eighth — offers a “play-in” opportunity to qualify for the postseason by beating the eighth seed two straight times.___Grinnell College in Iowa says it will cancel football and other fall sports because of concerns about the coronavirus.The Division III school announced it would cancel sports including football, soccer, golf, cross-country and volleyball. The college, located in the small city of Grinnell about 45 miles east of Des Moines, competes in the Midwest Conference.The college says in a statement: “We have approached every decision about the coming school year, including this one, using a public health framework that prioritizes the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff and community.” The decision comes less than a year after the college canceled much of its football season because its roster had dwindled to 28 players due to injuries. Grinnell had planned to resume football this year.___Members of the Carolina Hurricanes have returned to their home ice at PNC Arena as the team began voluntary training sessions amid the second phase of the NHL’s return plan.In a video conference with reporters, captain Jordan Staal said the players went through safety protocols that included wearing a mask and getting a temperature check when arriving at the arena, as well as “keeping your distance as best you can.”The team announced last week that roughly 16 players were expected to participate, divided into two groups, with workouts closed to the public and media. Staal said the goal was “feeling the ice again” while running some drills. He said his group included All-Star defenseman Dougie Hamilton. Hamilton broke his left leg in January, but the team has said he should be ready to go if the season resumes.“Hopefully we can get through this Phase 2 and 3 unscathed, and get in the bubble and go from there,” Staal said.Training camps may open as early as July 10 if an agreement between the league and players on virus testing, health and safety protocols, and “hub” cities to host the games can be reached.___The LPGA Tour lost another tournament when the Canadian Women’s Open was canceled because of travel restrictions and quarantine requirements from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals Djokovic to face Bautista Agut in Abu Dhabi comeback LATEST STORIES Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson MOST READ Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina “It was an amazing year, we won a lot of trophies collective and myself individual, so I’m so glad. Thank you for the people who voted for me — next year, do the same!”Real were also named best club of the year and Zinedine Zidane was best coach.“It’s an honour for me and for the club to receive this award,” Zidane told the audience.“It means things have gone well and worked well.”In other awards, Francesco Totti and Carles Puyol received player career awards, Marcello Lippi was handed a coaching career award, Spain’s La Liga was best league of the year, and Jorge Mendes named best agent.ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Real Madrid’s Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo is seen on a screen after the announcement of his reception of the “Best player” award during the Globe Soccer Awards Ceremony at the end of the 12th Edition of the Dubai International Sports Conference on December 28, 2017 in Madinat Jumeirah Resort in Dubai. / AFP PHOTO / MAHMOUD KHALEDReal Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo was Thursday named Globe Soccer’s Best Player for the second year in a row and the fourth time overall although he wasn’t present in person to receive his trophy.The Portuguese international also won the prize, organized by the EFAA (European Association of Football Agents) and ECA (European Clubs Association) in 2011, 2014 and 2016.ADVERTISEMENT Ronaldo appeared by video link as he received the award from Italy’s Alessandro delPiero.Despite his numerous awards, Ronaldo joked that he still has plenty of room to expand his personal trophy cabinet.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk“Don’t worry my friend, I have a lot of space,” Ronaldo, who inspired Real to the Champions League last season, told the show’s host.“For me it’s a special moment and I feel very happy to receive this award. I have to say thank you to my teammates, to my coach, to Real Madrid. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone View comments Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours